Monday, January 5, 2009

The three biggest mistakes that website writers make

If I walk into a retail shop, I want the clerk to smile at me and look approachable. Similarly, if I let my fingers walk into a website, I want to feel welcome. Here are the three biggest mistakes that website writers make. (Note: the examples below are not manufactured -– they’re from real websites ):

Using language that’s too formal: “Government spending is a major economic driver that has a tangible impact on the economic well-being of every business and individual,” reads one typically pompous site. Doesn’t the writer sound like he’s wearing a smoking jacket and holding a glass of brandy in the other hand? I like websites where the writers “talk” like ordinary people.

‘Selling’ too fast: If I walk into a store and the sales clerk greets me with: “What would you like to buy today?” I tend to run fast – in the opposite direction. Don’t you? But many websites are just as bad about leaning in for the kill too quickly. “Get the best deals around on computers,” screams one home-page headline. And it doesn’t let up with the subheads: “Whether you are looking for refurbished, used, brand-new, laptop, desktop, large-screen, multimedia-centric, there's the perfect computer for you out there,” it continues. Fair enough. But I’d like to feel comfortable and get the lay of the land, before I get mowed down by the sales pitch.

Focusing on me-me-me: Don’t you get tired of the cocktail party bore who can talk only about himself, his job, his kids, his neighbors? Ever noticed how many websites are similarly narcissistic? “We are continuously working to improve our products,” says one. Well, good for you, I say. But if you want my business, let’s stop the focus on you and talk about me for a change.

The words you choose for web writing are important.. Talk to me in warm, simple language. Don’t sell too soon. And talk about MY issues (not yours.)

Then, and only then, I might be in the mood to buy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment